"There are 70 minutes to the end of the world. Where can you hide?"
Director: Steve De Jarnatt
Writer: Steve De Jarnatt
Genre: L.A. Apocalypse
Trombone-playing Harry meets the love of his life, Julie, at the La Brea Tar Pits. Unfortunately for everyone, he intercepts a wrong number at a phone booth at 4:00 a.m., telling him that nuclear missiles have launched from South Dakota, with a retaliation expected in 70 minutes. Can he save Julie in the wee hours of the morn before Los Angeles is completely destroyed?
- Two guilty pleasures (including Bad Influence), set at the La Brea Tar Pits!
- "Third date, Harry, I'm going to screw your eyes blue."
- Excellent snake necklace on Roger, the transvestite (Danny De La Paz) in Johnny's.
- The cooly competent Lana (Denise Crosby), confirming the launch codes, calling up Carl Sagan at 4:00 a.m. (7:00 a.m. Ithaca time) to alert him to the strike, and clearing out of town before the retaliation ("We're going to Antarctica.")
- The elderly couple, heading up to Canter's deli for a pastrami sandwich to see in the end of the world.
- Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez!) & Victoria Powells, packing for the South Pole: "Condoms?! We won't be needing these. We're going to need to repopulate a whole planet."
- A thoroughly depressing ending. I love it!